This may stretch the appliance theme a bit, but since so many of us are switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save energy, I think it is worth sharing. According to Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld at Parade Magazine, new research suggests some dangers:
Flickering bulbs have been reported to precipitate migraines or even seizures, though manufacturers say the new models have been improved. Fluorescent light can also aggravate skin rashes in people with lupus, eczema, dermatitis or porphyria.
Perhaps most important, the bulbs contain mercury. If one breaks, don’t vacuum the debris- that can release toxic dust into the air. Leave the room for 15 minutes. Then, wearing gloves, place the fragments into a plastic bag, seal it and take it to a recycling center.