The Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) offers their advice on maintaining your lawn tools for a greener yard and a greener world. Proper maintenance will also extend the life of your mower, trimmer or tiller.
- Change your equipment’s oil seasonally and be sure to recycle the old oil.
- Replace the spark plug and air filter, and check for proper carburetor adjustment … a properly tuned engine helps burn fuel more efficiently, thereby reducing emissions.
- Be sure to use replacement parts recommended by the manufacturer.
- Avoid gasoline spillage when you’re refilling the tank. Also, keep fuel tanks and containers sealed tight, leaving room (approx. 3/4 full) for expansion.
- Tighten loose nuts, bolts and belts so that your mower runs a little quieter, too.
- For mowers, sharpen cutting blades and keep decks cleared of all grass clippings to further enhance performance.
- Replace old worn out equipment with the latest models offering low-emission engines that run 70% cleaner than 1990 models. Electric or rechargeable battery power is also available.
Today’s lawn mowers and power equipment are designed for lower emissions, you can help by practicing proper maintenance.